Tiny Victorian Floor Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the suspended floor throughout the downstairs of my early-/mid-Victorian terrace (extensive rot and beetle activity), and the joists are a teeny-tiny 3.5" x 2.5". They're at ~40cm centres and the longest unsupported span between sleeper walls is ~130cm.

I can't lower the sleeper walls without re-routing the gas and CH pipework, and I can't raise the floor without causing height issues with the front and kitchen steps as well as the original Victorian skirting in the hallway, so simply replacing them with taller joists would be... problematic.

Where the floor hasn't rotted or been eaten away, there's no obvious sign of fatigue to the joists, so I assume it'd be fine to replace like-for-like?

Sponsored Links
I wasn't able to find any structural 3.5" x 2.5", only 3.5" x 1.5" - so I was going to just sister them to make 3" wide. Again, not sure if that's sensible.

A spot where the floor had been repaired previously had just used 100mm tall and cut notches to fit over the wall plates on the sleepers at the correct height.

Sponsored Links
spot where the floor had been repaired previously had just used 100mm tall and cut notches to fit over the wall plates on the sleepers at the correct height.
That would be less deflection if you do it accurately, and would be my recommendation

Also the absolute deflection will be low due to short spans. And with no plasterboard underneath the are no finishes to crack. So your 3.5 inch joists would be fine anyway, although they can't be far off. 4 inch can go up to almost 2m span if they're c24 grading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back