TIP - Unfused Spurs - Selection of MK Socket Make.

I think I see what you're saying. Some have the N load and feed terminals on the opposite side to the L load/feed, that's much more annoying. Particularly when the terminal screws are literally on every one of the 4 sides of the faceplate! BG Nexus I'm looking at you!

Sponsored Links
Cheap FCU's are the worst for haphazard terminal layouts, which increase the risk of mis-wires, as the terminals do not follow logical sequence - The MK ones do.

Cheap FCU's are the worst for haphazard terminal layouts, which increase the risk of mis-wires,
Only when installed by idiots who can't be bothered to read.

I agree that some layouts make it easier to arrange the conductors than others, but difficulties in that area are NEVER an excuse for putting them in the wrong terminals - that's just incompetence.

I noticed today that the layout of MK sockets and FCU's don't even match !!! (n) What hope is there trying to lay cables correctly!

Sockets have the Live on the right (from the front)
FCU's have the Live on the left.

Sponsored Links
I noticed today that the layout of MK sockets and FCU's don't even match !!! (n) Sockets have the Live on the right (from the front)
... which makes some sense, give that the L of the plug is on that side.
FCU's have the Live on the left.
Is there any obvious 'convenience' reason for that, in terms of the shape/nature of the mouldings?

Mind you, once cables are into the backbox without their sheaths, I'm not sure it really makes a lot of difference, does it? Hopefully, you never connect conductors to terminals on the basis of which you think should be which, without looking at the L/N markings, do you?

Kind Regards, John

Yes there is some sense to the sockets, mind you they are dual pole switched anyway.

No I always check. It would be nice for the manufacture to be consistent though.

There is one brand of socket outlet which some joinery manufacturer includes with their bespoke benching where the switched sockets (used for general supply) and the unswitched (for computer supplies) have L and N in different positions from one another. When you are going along second fixing along the benching, one has to be careful after say doing two unswitched and then doing a switched not to get it RP

Was fitting some cheap, Schneider white square edge recently, one box, Live and Neutral in the middle, earth to the extreme right. Next box (identical style, presumably different batch) Live & earth next to each other in the middle, neutral to the extreme right. I'll admit, I got the first one wrong (I realised before I screwed the socket back to the wall)

Yes there is some sense to the sockets, mind you they are dual pole switched anyway.

No I always check. It would be nice for the manufacture to be consistent though.

Not necessarily - cheap imports still tend to be SP rather than DP ....

The cheaper brands threw a bunch of random screws in the air, where ever they landed decided the location of a terminal. (Or it appears to be that way).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back