Tipping waste down roadside sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did not see a section for ground works so I picked this one

Greeting!
Anyone know the law regarding the tipping of waste down roadside water drains and roadside sewerage drains.

Can one open up a road side sewerage man hole cover and tip septic waste (from a mobile septic tank) down there

Can this be done without notifying the council, or do you need a licence to do so or is it a big no no!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
OK well if thats the case then I guess I will have to look at some kind of disposable service where they collect or where I can deliver to then

The reason I asked is because legend has it on the net that camper van owners tip there waste down there manhole covers at home

Just empty it down your own toilet. Like this but without the gagging! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well yeah, there are ways around it, same as a portaloo on a caravan, you're not meant to but it is your waste so .... I don't think the loo police would be beating your door down over that any time soon.

Doing it commercially/as part of a business is a different ball game tho .....

I would get in touch with your LA environmental services, they will tell you what you need to comply with.

OK well if thats the case then I guess I will have to look at some kind of disposable service where they collect or where I can deliver to then

The reason I asked is because legend has it on the net that camper van owners tip there waste down there manhole covers at home

Well I don't, but if I did it would either go down the toilet at home, or I would lift the appropriate manhole cover for such waste. I have two manholes in my drive, one is rain water, the other in the main sewer for grey water/ toilets. It would go down the latter.

Drains in the road go to make up untreated rain water and often go straight to streams and rivers, very different from raw sewage, which needs treatment, before discharge.

The chemicals added to a portable toilet to stop gassing do affect the treatment plants ( and completely kill the processes in a cess pit).

Well I don't, but if I did it would either go down the toilet at home, or I would lift the appropriate manhole cover for such waste. I have two manholes in my drive, one is rain water, the other in the main sewer for grey water/ toilets. It would go down the latter.

Drains in the road go to make up untreated rain water and often go straight to streams and rivers, very different from raw sewage, which needs treatment, before discharge.
There are two types of drains you are referring to and that is foul sewer and surface water sewer
Grey water is that that comes off of the sinks shower not the toilet toilet water is called Black water

But to lift a foul sewer drain to do it sure easy done! But legal or not I do not know

The chemicals added to a portable toilet to stop gassing do affect the treatment plants ( and completely kill the processes in a cess pit).
And the chemicals in porterloos is not what you get in normal flush toilets so I do not know about waste disposal hear

Firstly, to remove waste from a holding tank, septic tank, treatment plant etc, you need to be a Registered Waste Carrier, doing it without a licence is illegal. Secondly, all waste must go to an appropriate disposal point for treatment. Tipping it down a manhole is illegal, and if the Water Co. catch you doing it, you will be liable for prosecution.

You will need a Waste Carriers licence from the Environment Agency and a Licence from the Water Company to discharge septic waste at their sites. Expect them to require a a sample of the load prior to tipping.

You will need a Waste Carriers licence from the Environment Agency and a Licence from the Water Company to discharge septic waste at their sites. Expect them to require a a sample of the load prior to tipping.
But if I have WC licence and one from the water company then could it be done?

No you couldn't just dump your load down a street manhole- as above you'd have to transport it appropriately (ie a real tank, not some lashup involving an IBC on a pickup) to one of the water companies' sites (prob a treatment plant) and discharge it there at their direction

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back