Tips for drilling into walls with plastic pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

We live in a new build property which has plastic micro bore central heating pipes. I need to drill through a couple of stud walls to run a new ethernet cable to another room.

I know detecting plastic pipes is almost impossible, so does anyone have any tips for drilling into the stud walls?

My current plan is to drill slowly and stop before I get all the way through the plasterboard, then carefully push the last bit through with a blunt instrument. After that I can hopefully test the void is clear with a piece of firm wire etc. or maybe with a light (will be a 8-10mm hole). I also have a small inspection camera with a light I can use at that point.

Anyone have any tips/words of advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard does not require a drill simple Phillips screwdriver can be twisted thru and will not damage you pipes. Personally I use power over Ethernet plugs for my Ethernet connection.

Sponsored Links
In a new build, theoretically any pipes in the wall should run vertically in line with the rad connectors. Theoretically.

I think this is true at least for the under oven radiator thing in the kitchen. I can see the pipe connectors under the kitchen units point upwards and the wall is fractionally warmer when the heatings on in a straight line up.

Hard to tell by touch with the others as obviously the radiators warm the walls

Dont run PLT devices then.

Can you use divining rods to find the water in the pipes? :)

or go up the wall through the ceiling into attic then back down into desired room, dont take for granted the pipes are vertical from rad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back