Holes to drill in a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, as title,
I need to run in a long drain from a new sink to be fitted. It needs 50mm nominal pipe as the run is about 10m.
Anyway, I need to drill about 60mm holes into the edges of a stud wall, Murphies law says I will choose to drill where there are some screws/nails in the way.
What type of core drill should I get? Carbide tipped, or just buy two or three HSS types and accept the wear and tear of going through the nails? There is plasterboard on top, but if need be I could gently chisel that out before drilling. There are 3 holes in all to be made, and all walls a notionally Timber with bolts and screws holding things together.

Sponsored Links
It’s not clear from description what you are intending? Surely the stud is timber or steel ?

Yes. Core drills are for masonry - for stud walls you need a hole saw (and if there is metal in there it needs to be bimetallic as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
ALL the walls in the house are timber, but there are some substantial bolts in the external walls from memory, I saw them during the construction. I should miss them, but mr Murhpy may have other ideas about that.
I will buy the bimetallic type then.

Sponsored Links
Please be aware that a 60mm hole saw needs a reasonably powerful drill to run it (they tend to push smaller cordless drills to the limit) and will need to be run at somewhere around 1500 to 2000rpm. You will need a side handle on the drill, as even at 50mm they can sometimes snatch.

One plus point of using a holesaw over a core drill is that you can get hold of holesaws sized in 1mm increments, so for example a 44 or 45mm one is relatively easy to obtain. I've had success at work using Morse bimetallic holesaws bought from eBay which came complete with an arbor and pilot drill (many trade or industrial brands such as Starrett, Bosch and the like make you buy them separately which isn't the most economical approach for a one off hole size). At that size they are in the £12 to £15 price range complete with arbor and pilot drill (just checked)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back