how to drill a straight hole through a thick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drill a couple of holes through 200mm internal wall for central heating pipes.

I'm guessing I want to drill from both sides and meet in the middle in order to avoid a messy exit hole.

Is there a good technique to ensure that the holes on both sides are aligned, and that I'm holding the drill straight?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what diameter hole you require but you could drill a small hole straight through the wall and then expand with a larger drill bit from either side.

It may help if you can get someone to 'sight' the drill for you - especially in the vertical plane.
Start with a 10mm dia drill, and then increase the size.....if the wall is soft, it may just be possible to 'bend' the drill a little.
Sleeve those pipes, too!
John :)

Sponsored Links
If you have a pillar drill, get a thick piece of wood, drill a suitable hole in it as a guide, screw it to the wall and drill through. If going in one direction only, switch hammer action off for the last couple of inches to reduce exit damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back