Tips for finding a good trades person.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finding it incredibly hard to find decent trades people. I read the regs I know what needs to be done they tell me they will do it all to regs. I make sure they provide the correct certificates on work. But most of the time they get here do the work and let me down, usually it's subpar It keeps happening.

My latest job, the person has used my own materials to do part of the work, he's invoiced me at the full quote which originally included Additional work and he's also included my materials in the cost! With the additional work they got here and explained there plan to me, it sounded like they weren't going to do it to regs so I said leave it still included it in the invoice.

It's Exhausting, I need to find a plumber to fix a leak left and go through it all over again.

Does anyone have any tips to ensuring I can find the right people, I try and do so much research but it's not working.

Sponsored Links
Pray and hope, that's about all you can do. If you can get somebody by recommendation that helps. Some younger workers can be great - they've not yet become wary of customers and don't rip you off. If you find one good person, ask if they have a mate that does other jobs.

Cheers for that, i think it depends on the level of knowledge of that person recommending the trade because they may have been conned aswell, people expect trades people to do it all correct but in my experience noone gives a ****.

Driveways are the worst lol, trying to explain to some what MOT3 is, I mean come on it's your job and it's government regs.

I put my concerns to the company and they've knocked 30 quid off lol I'm part of the problem as I'm going to pay it I just don't want the stress.

Sponsored Links
For permeable driveways you need to use the correct subbase, which is what I was after.
You can only have 5m squared of no permeable driveway without a soakaway. A soakaway needs to be 5m from the foundations, my driveway was 5m so that was not possible.

It's all in the suds regulations.

Edit : Regs on Soakaways. (there is a government document on this I think its in Section G I cant be arsed to hunt for it.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-22-07-18-41-44_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-22-07-18-41-44_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Unfortunately it's trial and error and when you do find someone good then it's a godsend.

Like anything worthwhile in life you need to build relationships.

You know when you have found the right tradesman it just clicks and it's built on trust.

I've been trying to use the accredited websites like Watersafe for example, but even then there usually random phone numbers, old outdated or the website links don't work etc.

I feel like I'm repairing the work of the last trades person with a new trades person to find a decent one lol. NVM /rant over.

I've been trying to use the accredited websites like Watersafe for example, but even then there usually random phone numbers, old outdated or the website links don't work etc.

I feel like I'm repairing the work of the last trades person with a new trades person to find a decent one lol. NVM /rant over.

Ask friends and ask neighbours - unfortunately it is trial and error. The better tradesman don't need to advertise the work comes there way - they have built this up over time.

Cheers for that, i think it depends on the level of knowledge of that person recommending the trade because they may have been conned aswell, people expect trades people to do it all correct but in my experience noone gives a ****.
That's very true. The first builder I used was a cowboy that was recommended by a neighbour!

That's very true. The first builder I used was a cowboy that was recommended by a neighbour!
Honestly I think this is a massive issue in the uk, no one is checking and just assuming these people are doing the correct jobs. I would like more self certification, This takes pressure off councils to check work and planning but it protects the customer in the long run as there are paper trails. Fensa I feel is a good example of this. Although.... in my initial rant it was about WIAPS and I wouldn't say that cert has saved my bacon here.

Sponsored Links
Back