Tips on how best to secure pergola arch posts in my garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D Hi everyone, Sheels here.
I have been given a large garden pergola arch. The problem is that i have garden tiles and have to remove these to secure the 4x4 posts. Underneath these tiles is a scarce layer of sand and then for the rest it is all building rubble. I am having difficulty, because of all this rubble and cant make a hole deep enough to sink the posts into.
What other options of securing these post could anyone give me. It has been said that i could use an L plate and secure the post to the patio tiles. I feel uneasy about this, since the pergola is large and heavy.
I live in rented accommodation and may not secure the pergola arch by any other means than into or onto the ground.
I would be grateful for responses,
Thanks to all, Sheels :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It can be very hard work digging through rubble like that and you often end up with a much bigger hole than intended. But you'll have to persevere as any bolt down option will be pretty crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back