Securing a pergola

The OP (me) hasn't made his mind up yet. Haha.

I'm just mulling ideas over. Maybe a pergola title was a bit misleading, My design is turning into a hybrid fence/screen/pergola design. I'm going to go with the option shown in the photo and i'll install some eyelets so that a sail can be installed as/when required. I'm planning on using 150mm x 150mm Oak posts and with the inclusion of a sail the loads will be different to a standard pergola I suspect. I may also change the 2 panels either side of the corner with more solid panels.

My worry was that installing steel post brackets on top of a concrete foundation wouldn't be strong enough as I have never done this before.

Any thoughts?

Ed

Sponsored Links
The brackets are strong enough for a structure with a roof-like frame to keep it rigid.

You can just see one in the inside corner of my shed. I used dark brown masonry paint on the concrete to blend it in.

You can also see a concrete spur for an earlier fence post that I incorporated into the shed. The spur is much better for withstanding sideways forces, like wind on a fence.

20220711_191509.jpg

They weren't the ugly things I was thinking of for a pergola, where they'd be on display, more something like this:

PUW-MOUNT.png

Though there a several variations on the design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back