Tips Please on How to Plaster/Render Blockwork Gate-Post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. The gate posts to my drive are made out of block and have never been treated or weather-protected. They are 5 blocks high and 1 block wide and the previous owner (who built the house) filled them with concrete.

I would like to smarten them up from the dull grey block but before painting them what should I do to the surface. I don't even know the correct term - do they need some exterior plaster or render applying? And what is the best product to use?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I don't even know the correct term - do they need some exterior plaster or render applying? And what is the best product to use?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Render is the term you are after.

It is usually mixed yourself - predominantly sand and cement and done in two coats.

For each coat, the pros on here could advise better ratios of cement/sand and what additives (waterproofer, plasticiser etc) to add. It is also important on the type of sand used.
If you search the forum on render, I'm sure you'll get some useful posts.

Good luck.

getwash the coloumns then use a 4:1 sand and cement render mix
with waterproofer fix wet carst angle beads clout nails or screw&plug
wet the walls off first then scrach coat with the render flatten off run over a render comb
let i dry over night then wet it off agen this time mix 5:1:1
sand cement lime then trowel it on run a strate adge the lot useing the corner bead as a guide then start fill the dips in as you go keep runing the adge of the wall till its flat and dip free let it go say 2 hours then with a cleen bucket of water lightlee rub a jumbo sponge over the top in a circular motion away from you use the left over gear too fill slakes then its your choise what paint you use
building sand
opc cement
hydrated lime
waterproofer
corner bead wet carst bead

Sponsored Links
Do you have any coping stone or capping on them - you will need something with a drip on top so that your render will last longer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back