Tips to avoid a mess painting bathroom ceiling??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Recently had the bathroom re-fitted and the ceiling boarded and skimmed. It was about a month ago so looking to get this painted now.The bathroom ceiling is about 2.5m2

Planning on two mist coats (50:50 which sounds as if its going to be messy) followed by an acrylic egg shell paint (probably this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-...l-emulsion-paint-brilliant-white-2-5ltr/45956).

Other than laying a load of dust sheets, is there a better way to protect taps, shower, toilet etc? Also have a shower screen and large mirror.

Also will using a hand roller rather a pole reduce spraying?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Have you considered using a paint pad? Some people love 'em, some hate 'em and you can still get drips if you overload them, but you don't get any spray.

Reduce or practically eliminate spray? Simples roll slowly. Most DIY'ers (I'm one) go at it like a bull in a China shop and seem surprised when the paint goes everywhere.

Sponsored Links
Why are you doing a 50/50 mix for the mist coat. Why not follow the advice on the back of the tin, which is likely to say up to 20% water?

It will be far less splatery when rolling.

I use (foamless) Anza paint pads for painting MDF. I once tried using a foam backed paint pad to paint a (previously painted) wall. It was a nightmare, I had to use two hands to drag it down the wall. Those infomercials on the telly? I suspect the paint has been massively thinned.

I would recommend a decent roller and extension pole. Do not thin the paint too much, roll slowly and do not apply too much pressure. Keep the roller well loaded. I normally use the Purdy Colossus sleeves for rolling. I am not a fan of very short nap rollers, they often get paint build up at the edges and leave lines. You will need to thin the first coat of eggshell (as per the instructions on the tin). The second coat should glide over the first coat so watch out for roller slippage.

You will get a tiny amount of splatter but if you set the pole so that you are rolling 1.5m away from you (as you look up) you should not get any paint on yourself. I set the length of the pole so that one hand is near my hip and the other is higher up to guide the roller. I almost lean in to the roller, letting my body do the work and my other puny arm guide the roller. Once you master the technique it is not only way faster than using a stepladder, it also requires much, much less energy.

In the case of a 10ft ceiling in an unfurnished room, lets say 6m by 4m, it should take about 20/25 mins with a pole and roller. It will be faster than the cutting in. A step ladder and roller? An hour and a loss of the wet edge which may require more coats to maintain a constant sheen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back