TLX 2356 thermostat replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

Please advise as I have lost already two days trying to find replacement for my old TLX 2356 room thermostat.
I'm looking for a digital one. My one is still working but looks like from early '70s and I'm not sure if is accurate.
Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'm wondering if someone could check if the Siemens REV23RF would do the job as well?
Yes

Alternatively Stalus RT300
No

If I had known you were thinking of a programmable stats, I would have recommended the Honeywell CM927.

What boiler do you have?
Do you have an existing programmer/timer?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks D_Hailsham! It is really much appreciated.

I have a really old boiler I do not even know what model it is but it has a pipe which leads fumes out of my property through the wall to outside. It is quite loud when it's working. I will try to get some details of it once back at home and post them here.

I have only recently replaced my old mechanical - not working programmer with SIEMENS RWB29 PROGRAMMER and it is working fine. I can set this to work separately for CH and HW any time and any day of the week. I'm not sure if I really need a programable thermostat that is why I have suggested Stalus RT300 as it is cheap and still looking good.
But according to what you have said it will not work properly? I wanted something with a backlight and big digits on a thermostat.
As I said my TLX2356 is still working but to be honest I'm not able to say what temp switches CH on as it is anything between 15 and 20 degrees of celsius - that is how much I can turn the dial before anything happens. On top of this it looks awful :)

I will make a picture of all the parts tonight and post them on this forum.

I hope it helps.

Hi there again, I'm back with some more informations about my system. Please see pictures. Three of them shows my existing thermostat one has plenty red dots which are the points with 220V when the heating is on and green dots where there is no 220V. The other picture shows exactly the same spots when the heating is off - again red ones are 220V green ones no power.

//www.diynot.com/network/marcx/albums/1477 link to pictures.

Please advise which digital one will be good and how to connect it to the plate....

I have a really old boiler I do not even know what model it is
Picture gives the name! It's an Apollo made by Potterton Myson.

I have only recently replaced my ... programmer with SIEMENS RWB29 PROGRAMMER and it is working fine. I can set this to work separately for CH and HW any time and any day of the week. I'm not sure if I really need a programable thermostat that is why I have suggested Stalus RT300 as it is cheap and still looking good.
But according to what you have said it will not work properly? I wanted something with a backlight and big digits on a thermostat.
There is nothing wrong with the Siemens RWB29, so keep it; don't bother about a programmable stat. The reason I said the Salus RT300 was not suitable is that it only has a single throw switch. The TLX 2356 has a double throw switch.

Now, this may not be important - it all depends on how your thermostat has been wired up. The pics of the stat showing the voltages are, unfortunately, not very helpful. What is needed is to know what each wire from the stat connects to. Here is a link to the TLX Instructions

If you could find out where the wires connected to terminals 1-4 go, it would be helpful. Please be as specific as you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back