TNS on overhead cables supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just curious about how common this is.

I was visiting some friends who live right out in the sticks, there are about a dozen houses out in farmland yonder. An overhead single phase 11kV supply comes in, then it's phase (split phase actually, each house being on the opposite leg), neutral and earth on overheads tapped off in to each house. What with it being overhead supply, I was expecting TT, but nope, the good old DNO have provided a separate earth for the good teuchter folk to use!

Is this a rarity?

Sponsored Links
Not that rare - My DNO supply TN-S as default to farms, both OH and UG.

My DNO will also not mix earthing systems on a TX, so if there are houses with or near the farm, they get TN-S too.

Have seen it in SK6, but not anywhere else I've worked.

I saw a supply in Kidsgrove once, TN-S coming into box on side of house but TT inside. Good Ze too, stingy DNO!!

Not that rare - My DNO supply TN-S as default to farms, both OH and UG.

My DNO will also not mix earthing systems on a TX, so if there are houses with or near the farm, they get TN-S too.

Ah, that sounds about right as it used to a working farm up until recently.

Sponsored Links
There are a few round me but it is fairly uncommon here. Normally TT, but these are slowly getting upgraded to TN-C-S on domestic supplies.

Out in the sticks round here it seems to be pot luck as to which of the three earthing systems you will get, even sometimes on farms! ffs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back