To all with Thorn Apollo Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am new on here but have registered to post this.

I have a Thorn EMI Apollo Boiler, as had my brother who lived close to me.
For 15 years the boiler has been kettling badly, some times it would boil only for a few minutes then boil make a drastic noise then stop, hence no hot water. Waking the house every morning etc.
I have had the Gas Board in, numerous plumbers, changed thermostats, pumps, 3 way valves etc, added inhibitors, cleaners, had the system flushed. In the end my brother replaced his boiler, and mine would only work on high setting, hence heavy bills.
It seems that most heating engineers cannot fix this type of boiler.

After extensive searching I found a post on this site about a similar problem.

It turns out that it was a simple stat that controls the pump fitted on the side of the boiler was at fault 10.00 approx from plumbase. I also changed the HI and LO stat all for 30.00.

Fitted new stat pump, perfect like new.

Thank to this forum problem solved after 15 years of time and money wasted.

Sponsored Links
A good wee boiler in it's day, three things that were important to these low water content boilers; circulation, circulation & circulation!!

My Thorn Apollo 30/50B is now 22 years old. I have replaced one thermo couple and a pump overrun stat. Flipping Brilliant :D

Sponsored Links
I'm doing a chemical clean on an apollo tomorrow, it has started kettling, but a quick wizz with a powerflush and DS3 will have it like new again
they were a good budget boiler, the fanfare's wernt so good tho :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back