To Buy Or Not To Buy? Opinions please

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My attitude with cars is to take whatever is the most economical approach. There's probably a name for people like me but I don't really care. I just want a workhorse that motors well and does what I want.

Basically, I buy a car of a few years old, then do my best, either patching up myself or taking to the garage untill the economics tell me it's game over. In the old days it was usually welding jobs that spelled the demise of a car but that doesn't seem to be the case these days.

I coach kids rugby, so oftern have a lot of muddy kit in the car plus, diy project bits and pieces or stuff for the tip. Generally, a work horse. My wife takes the posher car.

Anyway, I'm at a crossroads at the moment on what to do....

I have a 2004 2L turbo diesal Zafira that I've had since 2010 (150,000 miles). Generally, it's been pretty sound but in the past year, I've got into the realms of paying out on it. Case of getting the garage to fix something hoping it'll be the last thing... But it's been one thing after another.

In the last year have replaced :

Crankshaft pulley
EGR
Turbo vaccum
Oil pressure sensor
Subframe (yep, that was a first for me)
Rear disks/pads
Various tyres/tracking etc, so all tyres currently in good shape.
plus I've just recently got a years MOT

However, the clutch is very near to going (which isn't bad considering the mileage).

But the crunch is that it needs a poxy dual mass clutch (includes the fly wheel!!!) which bumps the price up. Quote from my usual garage was £749 + VAT, so around £900!!!
Got another quote from Mr Clutch out of interest and they confirmed the same.

I know none of you out there have crystal balls but considering all the money I'ce invested so far (and the fact I don't car about fancy cars, just want one that goes), what would you do????

Get a newer Zafira or similar (say about 5 years old) or get the clutch replaced for £900.
Yep, I know things can go wrong with newer cars too but question is, could much more go wrong with my current car?

Keep changing my mind on this one

Just want opinions on what you'd do????

Thanks in advance folks!!!

Sponsored Links
Ditch it, the clutch won't be the last, they'll be something else after that and something else after that ......

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Owned a megane for 8 years, at the end of the last year I traded it in for less than it had cost me to keep on the road that year.

Last edited:
Unfortunately diesel cars have 2 very expensive items: dual mass flywheel and diesel particulate filters both about £1k......

I have heard you can sort out dual mass flywheels by getting them welded up. Dont suppose that helps when the clutch needs replacing anyway.

Sponsored Links
For sure, I wouldn't be wanting to spend any more on this car......however, at this stage why not just run it until the clutch packs in or something else fails? I'm surprised you haven't needed a turbo so far!
John :)

If you bought a newer Zafira, it'd cost you £900 in depreciation in the first 6 months. I realised that after trading in my Citroen C5 for a newer car.

Those diesel particle filters are a nightmare I had to have four replaced to a brand new evoque. Their excuse is they are hard to manufacture !!

Is the clutch slipping when used normally? Or is it noisy when operated?
What makes you think it is on the way out?

Why are you being told that the DMF is included? (yes I know that DMF's age to troublesome.) As Notch7 says you can get them repaired. I do know that many garages recommend the the replacement of the DMF at the same time as the clutch assembly as the labour costs are the same.

So - recommendations; if the clutch is not regularly slipping sell the car 'As seen'; If the clutch is slipping see if you can get a clutch less DMF from a motor factors and get it changed then sell or keep, you choice; alternatively sell as seen less the cost of the replacement clutch not including the DMF.

Are there any 'Advisories' on the MOT? if yes then now definitely is the time sell 'as seen'; if no then get a trade-in value and base your decision on that value and costs.

Even if the clutch/dmf were replaced the sales price is unlikely to exceed £ 900 I would have thought, so that investment would seem pointless to me. On that basis I would run it until it dies and scrap it.

I'm not in the UK, so would be interested if someone could tell me if you still get any cash for scrapping an old car ?

Trade it in for a 2011 Zafira then start changing every 5 years.

Thanks all!
I ended up shelling out £8200 for a rather nice 2004 Zafira 2L. Should keep me going for a bit....
Managed to get £370 for the old one in a private sale. Told the bloke about the clutch but as he's trade and can probably get it fixed on the cheap, he wasn't that fussed. He was quite happy and to be honest, he may get a fair bit of motoring out of it. Possibly loads more with the clutch fixed. Fairly happy with the £370 too. Not so happy about how much I've invested so far but I suppose that's the gamble with cars and I'd probably be making the same decisions again.
Anyway, thanks for all your input folks!

£8200 for a 14 year old car. Good grief. I sincerely hope you mean 2014.

Sponsored Links
Back