To drop or not to drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...

I'm considering purchasing a property (at auction) that suffers cracking and poor brickwork at the rear of the house.

Its a large 3 story Victorian semi detached villa with solid walls that requires renovation. There is a small (about 3m by 2m) outrigger, which has a crack around it on the inside where it meets the main building. (see the two pics outlining it).

Furthermore there has been an attempt to fix older problems with the older cross shaped wall ties, visible on the top and bottom of the wall outside, which leads me to think the wall is bowing, and has had to be held in the past.

My question is: do you think the older repair is still sound and that I could put some restraint straps in the small outrigger, or will it be necessary to drop and rebuild at least the top half of the house?

Grateful for any thoughts before I hand over my hard earned cash to the structural surveyor, let alone purchase the thing.

The other half of the semi detached pair has had its rear wall dropped and rebuilt, in fact I think they've done away with the outrigger and put in cavity walls.

Final question: If I had to drop and rebuild this little beauty, what kind of cost (per square metre?) would I be looking at for the drop and rebuild task?

Sponsored Links
My place is similar, 3 storeys, wall ties to give lateral support etc etc.

I'd be inclined to get a full structural survey done and then if it isn't literally about to fall down then buy it, assuming of course that you are happy with the price.

It doesn't look to me that there are any problems significant enough to warrant rebuild.

I am no expert at all, but live in and am renovating a similar house (albeit one that has had greater problems in the past).

Thanks, there's no question a structural survey will be carried out before purchase, however I was wondering if it was so obviously "bad" to other more experienced members before I parted with £300 for someone to tell me its "bad".... basically I can afford the renovation if the wall doesn't need to be rebuilt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back