Needles or Strongboys?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are in the midst of having a single story L-Shaped extension being built on our 1892 Victorian house. To the rear of the property is an outrigger, we are having 2 of the external outrigger walls removed and a small left edge wall connecting the main house to the outrigger. The steelwork is a 2 goal post with a connecting beam between the two design.

The builder set out 2 strongboys on the small connecting wall (1.8mtr wide), 4 strongboys on the gable wall of the outrigger (5mtrs long) and 2 at the end of the outrigger (2.7mtr wide)

They also had 3 props with boards on the inside to take floor weight above.

I questioned the qty, especially along the 5mtr run, some props where up to 1200+ apart, I asked for 2 more at least but was denied on the grounds that was enough and the header course was just above (3 courses above though)

3 of the probs where on flimsy 22mm tounge and groove plywood and the ground was hard soil but not cleared too well so debris underneath ect.

Anyway, once they removed the last few bricks from the corner the house dropped, everyone thought it was going to completly fall, the probs where bending beyond belief, we now have cracks all over the place and the building has dropped on the corner around 40mm.

Now I've got the contents of the situation out the way, I'm wondering who would ever use strongboys to remove the corner of an outrigger or would the majority say needles.

Sidenote, the whole ground floor was clear, the upstairs bedroom just had a few bits of junk in, and the ceiling that was being supported could be ripped out anyway to allow for needles to run through it. We have also moved out too so no rason not to use needles.

What does everyone think, strongboys or needles?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Needles for a cavity or 9" wall, or a strong boy either side.

1m max spacing, with extra for point loads or where the inherent bond/ self support of wall sections is compromised.

Strongboys are ok (one side perhaps) but their proximity to the knockout means that access (for the beams) is restricted. If the conditions allow we sometimes trap the steel inside the Acros, then demolish around them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back