needles or strongboys?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im removing a wall as part of my extension in my stone built house. The walls are about 500mm thick and rubble filled and is the old external wall. On the outside there is no 1st floor on the inside there is a bedroom/bathroom above.

Ive had structural calcs done for the steel etc. However I have a question about removing this wall. Im told knocking through with needles is best however I dont really want to punch through the floors to go above with the needles.

Can I prop the joists with acrow's and a scaffold board on internal and use strongboys on the outside bit or are they not strong enough? my only other thought is to do needles but do them at ceiling height and have the beam lower than this.

Id also planned to drill above the wall and spray in foam to try and stop the rubble and crap falling out when I remove the wall

Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Can do and I think they recommend 800mm max spacing with the strong boys.

You need to be very careful with rubble filled and random stone walls, as there is no inherent support that you get with bonded brickwork. Sections of wall can just drop in between spaced props.

You should not use strongboys.

I live in an area where there are a lot of random stone walls and would put in needles and also some ply etc under as even small stones hurt.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back