explanation of house survey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i was wondering if anybody could help i am a ftb looking at buying a 1900 semi detached property. it is run down and needs alot of work ie windows kitchen bathroom, decorating,roof repairs etc. i had a homebuyers survey which brought up lots of problems which we expected but it also talks about a 'bulge and parts of brickwork needing rebuilding as follows..... i wonder if anybody could explain in simple terms what this all means ? i am going to get quotes from a builer also thanks in advance.............

'The front bay windows are twisted out of alignment at both ground floor and first
floor levels. There is a slight convex bulge at rear first floor level to the main gable.
There is a slight bulge to the base of the apex on the rear outrigger elevation.
There is cracking to the side outrigger rendering below the bathroom window. The
roof void inspection revealed poor brickwork internally (which might explain extent
of the external rendering) and in the circumstances we recommend that all the
affected areas should be rebuilt, and where necessary rendering is repaired. This
will be a costly exercise involving scaffolding and we strongly advise obtaining
estimates from a building contractor prior to exchange of contracts.
We also draw your attention to the condition of the external rendering. Cracking
was noted around the main kitchen window reveal under the bathroom window
and affect areas will require to be cut out and re-rendered

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, you have a classic "stating the bleedin' obvious, I'm covering my arse report" from a clueless surveyor.

What the surveyor is saying, is exactly what he (or you, or anyone) would have seen. He then goes on to say it all needs to be rebuilt

What he does not say ( and what you really need to know) is what is causing the wall to bulge, the frames to twist, the cracks to form and the render to fall away?

There is no context at all, no reasoning for the need to be rebuilt and no alternatives.

He's then asking you to get quotes from a builder, but how are you supposed to get meaningful quotes when you don't even know what the cause is? ie you don't repair bulging or cracked brickwork without knowing what has caused it - or if it will reappear once you ave repaired it. Thats a crap, statement to make in a report

Go back to him and ask him these questions

Maybe it's because it is a 'Homebuyers Report' whereas a building of this age should have had a full structural survey which although more exepnsive will, of course, give better detail and suggested repairs...in my experience of course!

Sponsored Links
Get a structural engineer (not a surveyor) to report on the affected areas only and remedial works required. Shouldn't cost more (may cost less) than a 'structural survey' from a surveyor and will tell you what you actually need to know.

Once you know what remedial works are needed then you can get estimates from a builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back