Buldging and cracking above ground floor window

P

peter1234

There is bulging and cracking above ground floor window in a bay extension built 17 years ago, on the ground and first floors of a Victorian conversion. There are signs of distorsions and distress and localized cracking to the first floor spandrel external brickwork along with cracked and dropped brick arches.

We would like to know what could be the cause of this.Could the problem be lack of lateral support or shallow foundations?

How costly is it to correct this problem? Please give us as much information as possible.

There is also evidence of rising damp. The width of the extension is around 2 meters. How costly is it to correct this problem.

Sponsored Links
It could be movement, loading, failed supports or several other reasons

Without seeing it and the adjacent structure, it will be hard for anyone to give specific diagnosis

Suggest you ask your insurer, buildings, to have a look, may be terr subsidence ? wrong time of year for that.

May be drains, or as you say may be a lateral stability problem, a visit from the insurers engineer will point you in the correct direction and that information is free, in that you do not have to pay for the survey.

Sponsored Links
I would like to thank all those that have replied to my query.

I know that the noises comming from next door house are the product of the fact that they have removed all the carpets in the house. My question is this: Is there any regulation that one needs to adhere to regarding noise insulation to prevent affecting neighbouring properties? I imagine that even when floor boards are installed in a property some kind of noise insulation has to be put in place around them to prevent nose travelling from the boards inot the brick structure or to the concrete floors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back