To Fernox or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new combi and new pipework put in, the system needs to be cleansed and then protected. Planning to use Fernox for both but not sure which ones, there are 18 radiators in all.

For cleaning - the DS-40 System Cleanser or the Superconcentrate Central Heating Restorer, and how much?

For protecting - the Alpha-11 Central Heating Protector and Anti-freeze or the MB/1 Central Heating Protector, and how much?

Are there any better stuff out there, like Sentinel?

Sponsored Links
Can't recall which cleanser I used (some years ago) but have got MB1 protector in there for last few years and appears to have done the job. 13 rads in all some doubles from one 5 litre dose. Read the instructions on the box when buying to determine how much is needed. Bottom line is, put something in; protection is better than cure.
N.B. did a little experiment with the MB1, put a couple of nails in it overnight before I used it, then put the nails in water and left in garage for few months = no rust, same ones used in garden have rusted away, so the rust protection part of it seems to be up to the job.

fernox is way to go. clean with ds-40 if black sludge comes out from the system. the other cleansers are toy chemicals. just be careful as dS40 is obviously very corrosive to skin.

MB1. it doesn't matter if you add a couple of bottles to overdose the system. Its cheap enough (£14 from B&Q) and if you ever drain down a radiator you won't need to worry about topping up the MB1 again for a few years.

Sponsored Links
Memory jogged, DS40 it was; used this and MB1 on same advice from a builder friend that htgeng is giving above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back