To freeze or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There were some questions about this many years ago but I will ask again. I am replacing all my rads over a number of months and have avoided draining down as I have kept the old TRV's and lockshield valves fitted as isolation. However, in one Instance I need to lengthen a pipe by about 100mm. Pipe is 8mm and as I am lengthening the pipe, I will replace the lockshield at the same time. The question is whether it is worth trying a freeze isolation before resorting to a full drain down. Job should be very quick, I will have the new valve ready with the right length of new pipe fitted. It will then just be a case of cutting the existing pipe and joining with a compression joint, hopefully a five minute job. Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Drain down every time, easier to work with, less chance of anything going wrong, removing and replacing water with new inhibitor.

Andy

Given it's 8mm I would presume it's a sealed system? If so then if it was me I wouldn't drain down, I would just drain down the rad in question and as part of that de-pressurise the system, the flow from the feeds pipes would then normally just stop once the pressure's released (shut down the TRV's on the other rads). As it's compression then no need for dry pipework etc.

It's an new rad. Not even out of its packing. The old one has gone and the valves are shut and blanked. Got to repaint wall and skirting behind then fit new rad.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back