To Kitchen Installers Everywhere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A big thank you guys, for all the work you send my way!

It was an old installation with a four-way Wylex fuseboard and only a single ring main... and a very recent kitchen extension. When I tested continuity I got a broken ring. Worse still was that one leg powered a single socket with every other socket in the house on the other - one long, overloaded, under-protected radial. The same man 'did the wiring' in the kitchen as fitted the units and he'd cheerfully disconnected one set of connections at an existing socket, terminated them in a taped-up choc block (still live) and replaced this with his own cable, to which he added eight more sockets. Oh yes, he'd also removed the bonding to the water supply when he moved the sink. Loop impedance testing also revealed that only a few sockets in the house came close to meeting disconnection times.

Great for me because now I have a full rewire to do (long overdue anyway) but this is such a common occurrence. I doubt whether Part P will actually save very many lives or prevent many fires, but if it manages to curb this kind of bodge-up it will justify its existence.

Sponsored Links
thing is i don't think it will

diyers will still diy
cowboys will still trade

honest electricians will be made more expensive encourageing the first two

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back