to level floor for hearth installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to level the flooring for the new hearth, which I remove from the previous extended hearth that goes lower than the floor level. Any advise what cement should i used to level it before i place the hearth. And by looking at the picture the next thing i should do is to level the base flooring and then place the hearth, is that right?

Many Thanks

fire_after.jpg
fire_before.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes it's for a woodburner stove. The opening width is 610mm, height 839mm and depth 355mm as the image below. Will this not fit a stove?

Attachments

• 20161010_144707.jpg
    20161010_144707.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links
What stove have you got in mind? Is it certified not to raise the hearth temp above 100 degrees c?

Its going to need to be fairly small to fit and comply with building regs - have you seen the diagrams e.g. 26
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....gportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/br_pdf_adj_2010.pdf

Yes there are stoves that will fit, but if you go for one that wont heat the hearth, you can get away with tiles 12mm thick instead.

Last edited:
The opening must be in accordance with the appliance Mfr's Instructions and dimensions.
These can be found, often on line, in the manual of the appliance that you select.

FWIW:
You have a stub of gas pipe showing - what do you intend to do with this gas supply?
When you remove whats left of the old appliance you will possibly have to do some draining down before removing it.
The flue should be swept & smoke tested regardless of what new kind of appliance (& any possible liner) is to be installed.
A site heads up from a HETAS would help you.

Great Thanks for the document, it's really helpful.

I got a hearth of 22mm thick and might get the FireFox 5 Stove Multi Fuel. And also going to install the vermiculite board on the inner wall.

I am going to cut the gas pipe and put a blank cap on it.

Your abandoned gas pipe should be capped off back where it branches off from the main gas pipe tee. Perhaps thats your idea?
Its not best practice to leave an abandoned gas pipe in-place even though its capped off.
Regs say all gas work such as capping off should be done by a Gas Safe.

The Jab needs to be 500mm - you're a couple of inches short. You also have to have 150mm from combustables, it looks like you might be 100mm in places. You'll have to evidence that the hearth is 250mm deep, so unless you plan to re-instate what you just dug up, you'll need to dig some more..

Or you could go for any one of these: and just lay 12mm tiles or slate on top of what you have now.
https://www.directstoves.com/stoves/multi-fuel-stoves/l/yes.html

Yes i am going the raise what i have dug to the floor level. Current the depth is about 12mm.

RE: Gas pipe.
I tried to clear those little sand and stone on the gas pipe, just to check what's in it. I poked a pin and it went deep, as picture below. Does that look like the pipe has been cut off somewhere?
20161011_090727.jpg

I have upload a video as well here,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6u527wclzetf44/20161011_090329.mp4?dl=0

Attachments

• 20161011_090753.jpg
    20161011_090753.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 20161011_090738.jpg
    20161011_090738.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 255
Can you not lift the floor boards and trace it back as per Vinn's post?
Are you planning to get your stove building control compliant? If so its worth getting the fire supplied and installed by a HETAS approved person and you just doing what they say from a building/work point of view. This is what I did and even though I ended up learning the regs better than the approved HETAS person, at the end of the day it was him signing off my install and me just doing the prep work.

Are you planning to put a chimney liner in? Personally I would.

The pipe went straight to the concrete floor, i don't have a floorboards on the ground floor.

I only removed those particles in the connector and found nothing in it - as what it is shown on the pictures. I didn't turn the gas off on the main, I just clearing and cleaning the connector. Because someone told me that there should be a screw in it. He told me to turn it on to hear the hissing sound of the gas, but as the picture, i found no screw in it. So i assume it has cut off somewhere. However i found one pipe that might link to the gas pipe, which embedded in the wall pointing towards the gas pipe..
20161011_093905.jpg

I'd get the HETAS guy out now to look at what you have now and then he can tell you what he needs doing. I'd strongly consider a stove that can work with a 12mm hearth though - it means you wont have unsightly steps in your room to trip over. It also make the room feel bigger. I'll snap a pic of mine and upload - its a similar size fire place and I also have gas pipes etc.

re your gas pipe if the pipe is open, the gas is on and there's no gas coming out then yes it has probably already been cut off. But as vinn says you should really trace it back to the main pipe as it is also possible that it has an isolation valve further back down the line which fiddling fingers may switch on in the future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back