To level or not to level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder/floor fitter gave me 2 options:

1st. Level the floor totally from kitchen into very long hallway.

2nd. Work the new hardwood floor to take the shape of the slight slope (from 0mm in the kitchem to 30mm at the end of the hallway).

I live in a purpose built flat built in 1904 and as you can imagine the floor is a bit warped. To save having to put steps outside my sons room and the bathroom I was thinking of going for the first option (1st) and just make sure the builder doesn't leave any obvious slopes/bends/etc

My question is is there any other disadvantages doing this for the long term?

Sponsored Links
first option could work well or come unstuck :confused:

depends on what he means by level and wether your floor is dead level sloping up or sloping down ect

in other words if the floor level drops as you go along the hall and he uses a level it will be progresivly higher up the wall the farther you travel

and of course the opposite if the floor level rises

I don't understand? Just checked the floor (they've done about 1m by 5m) and although the ply looks perfectly level across the kitchen,when you put your foot on the laid floor it compresses. I wasn't expecting this – is this normal? Or should I wait 'till the whole floor is finished? I'vce used a spirit level all over the ply floor and it seems perfectly flat – but can I stillexpect some compression effects when walking across it when it's finished?

Sponsored Links
I'm also suprised they are not gluing it to the floor and there is no material between the oak floor and the ply – is this ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back