to move light switch from inside to outside of room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another query,,
A light switch has to be moved from inside room to outside (ceiling pull switch not an option). New position is as if you pushed the existing switch and your hand carried thru to other (out)side. Sliding door is reason

What is the correct procedure for doing this?

Is it...
Place pattress box and switch in other side of wall, blank plate on original side (I assume plastering over not allowed). What is the legal way to run the cable and make the new connection to the switch now on the other side of the wall??

Sponsored Links
Do you mean to place the new switch on the other side of the door opening, or on the reverse wall?

I mean the reverse wall i.e. you walk out of the room where the existing switch is to reach the new position

Hopefully you can pull enough cable across to the reverse side of the wall and fit a new box. Then plaster over the old one as it will have no cable in it. Is it a solid or timber wall?

Sponsored Links
wall is plasterboard on battens (existing switch box screwed to batten).

Would plastering over old switch box not hide the fact that there is a cable running down the wall to the old position??

The existing cable might reach the new position but Im assuming it might not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back