To Pin or to Float?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've some 14mm engineered oak flooring I intend to fit in our hallway. They are the click together boards and are 1090 long. The hall is 970 wide so they'll be fitted width ways rather than length ways. Current floor is a well ventilated suspended floor with insulation underneath and 18mm ply on top of the joists, all nice and smooth. Skirtings are off and will be replaced once the floor is down. Current thinking is to fit wood on wood so no underlay or further insulation.

Now, question is, should I fit it as floating or pin them down before fitting the next row? The instructions with the packs mention humidity and expansion, but nothing about fitting method.

Sponsored Links
Feels sold when you walk on it as hardly moves which is better for click. We would only float wood if it’s T&G. Had problems with squeaking with click floated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back