Underlay for engineered floating floor

imk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
So after much debate and research I have decided to fit an engineered floating oak floor and NOT a solid wood one.

So I was wondering what the best type of underlay is for for good thermal insulation. (I shall lay it over it over a DPM)
many thanks imk

Sponsored Links
sorry i may of missed other posts.

If you floor has a working DPM in it and its dry to below 75% relative humidity (British standards) then you dont need a dpm sheet under the underlay if selecting the correct underlay.

You need a underlay with a 'vaporous barrier' . if want good sound insulation also then look at using - timbermate xl.

company's like Quickstep do underlays with built in barriers also but they are not as good as timbermate.

O and good choice on not floating solids. Not a approved method in the u.k and many many failed solid floors that have been floated. Bit of a cowboy method of installing solids.

sorry i may of missed other posts.

If you floor has a working DPM in it and its dry to below 75% relative humidity (British standards) then you dont need a dpm sheet under the underlay if selecting the correct underlay.

You need a underlay with a 'vaporous barrier' . if want good sound insulation also then look at using - timbermate xl.

company's like Quickstep do underlays with built in barriers also but they are not as good as timbermate.

O and good choice on not floating solids. Not a approved method in the u.k and many many failed solid floors that have been floated. Bit of a cowboy method of installing solids.

Yip, I read and read on the subject and talked to all sorts about this and seems as I have a piano then floating solid is a big no no...
As far as underlay I was thinking of using that 5.5/6.0mm green fiber board you find in wicks and bq etc. So is timbermate xl underlay better thermal insulation than fiberboard?
Many thanks imk

Sponsored Links
fibre board is crap my friend. Well over rated. Maybe im a bit biased as i cant stand the stuff. But seriously i would not stick it under my garden shed.

Stick with a rubber underlay. Without specs i cant say as all products are different but i would say that timbermate is on pair if not better on sound .

Insulation im not sure, but i would say that the heat loss would be possibly measured in the .00's between the two. Not even worth thinking about.

all depends on what product you go with tho .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back