to push fit or not to pushfit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating my bathroom in a 1930s semi - i've basically started from scratch.

I've come to a plumbing dilemma - i can either copper or pushfit.

While i've got the bathroom out im going to replumb the whole house to the stopcock (there's not that much pipework) - which involves 2 pipes in the kitchen wall upto the bathroom etc.

The original pipework is all exposed - none under any boards

In the process of revamping i've tore down the exisiting lathe and plaster on the ceiling and party walls - and i intend to lose the new pipework inside the cavities. (Im fitting a semi pedestal sink) This is where plastic has a slight advantage.
With copper i would have to notch the uprights and joists, with plastic i could just drill through.

But i'm not sure about plastic - i've no problem with working with copper - but seems like 10x the work with no advantages - altho plastic is slightly more expensive (Altho the amount of materials i need the price is irrelevent)

Has plastic been proven ? - I know its pretty much all thats used in new builds - I'm just worried about leaks later on!.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Providing that the plastic pipework is correctly fitted, corrected inserts used and pipe pushed all the way into the fittings using correct measurements and markings on the pipe its self. Use plastics pipe slice and not hacksaw, then there would be no problem at all using plastic.

Just make sure you have none of the fittings are inaccessible as this would be against water regs. (ie buried in walls are underneath permant flooring.)

Rico

On the kitchen walls, i plan on either using conduit - or just fixing to the wall and boxing in (easier) - none of the floors will be permanent - I plan on having easy access to every join wherever possible (eg velcro the bath panels on - have floorboard access points etc) and having check valves for every feed.

Use plastic where it won't be seen and copper for all visible piping (looks better). They are interchangeable

Sponsored Links
loads of new houses use plastic pipe, but if you see the installations that's because the installers haven't got a clue what they're doing and take absolutely no pride in their work, i think central heating installers only do the boiler now and the builders bodge all the main pipework in. pushfit is the lazy bodgers friend. a lot of diyers use it and you can tell they've used it because they're lazy and haven't got a clue what they're doing. i'm not against plastic pipe if installed well (which is very very rare) it's pushfit i hate.

if using plastic pipe i'd get inserts so you can use a compression fitting on it, pushfit connections look awful.

i personally don't like pushfit as i can't see the rubber seals lasting, rubber o rings leak in boilers all the time so can't see them being any different in all these new houses in years to come. i've already had to replace loads on jobs after they've been knocked replacing them with compression.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back