To Screed or Not To Screed (DIY'ing it) - that is the question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My build is progressing now, and I'm looking at getting the final kitchen floor down.

23m2 to a depth of 60mm.

I've read lots of threads on here about it being better to get a pro in to do Screed floors, as it can be a bit of a DIY headache.

Quotes for pros are all around the £1k mark, but from my quick maths/calculations online its probably £250 in materials.

I'd stick my neck out and say I'm a pretty good DIY, so is it really that difficult and thus worth paying the extra £750 for someone to do it??

Sponsored Links
It's not that difficult, but it's hard work and best done with more than one person.

The secret is to have a laser level set up and a stick - bottom of stick is top of screed and line marked around stick is where the laser line is.

You go around the perimeter first, then down the middle, then fill in between.

Don't forget perimeter expansion foam if you are having underfloor heating.

Use mapei tom cem if you want it dry in a couple of days.

If you do a crap job you might spend a fortune on self level.......

It's not that difficult, but it's hard work and best done with more than one person.

The secret is to have a laser level set up and a stick - bottom of stick is top of screed and line marked around stick is where the laser line is.

You go around the perimeter first, then down the middle, then fill in between.

Don't forget perimeter expansion foam if you are having underfloor heating.

Use mapei tom cem if you want it dry in a couple of days.

If you do a crap job you might spend a fortune on self level.......

Thanks. I watched a couple of you tube videos, and it's the process as you say - which didn't seem too complex.

I have my other half that can labour for me, she can do the mix and wheelbarrow it through to me. Although there is a cement co near me that will deliver screed mix... 1.3m2 might not be something they'd do.

I suppose as long as I spend less than £700 on self-level, I've only lost my time :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back