To screed or not to screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
Sorry if this is the wrong place in the forum, however it looked the most appropriate to me.

I'm going to have some flooring laid in my bathroom very shortly (Karndean Knightile). All three companies I've had in for quotes have said I need a screed, which they will apply for a reasonable fee. So far, so good. However the first and second suggested I screed, then fit my shower, then fit the floor, the third suggests it would be highly unusual to do so and I should not screed until the flooring is going to be laid, as fitting the shower, loo etc. will damage the screed. To add to my woes, the guy making and fitting the bathroom furniture says he will not fit it until the screed is done!

Who should I belive? Also the first to quote me for just screed, the second for a screed and the for a "feather finish". Why would I want or need a feather finish?

It doesn't really make sense to me to put the shower base, loo etc on to an uneven floor and then try and screed around it. The forums thoughts on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Regards

CC

15 :)

Sponsored Links
I presume that the room is on the ground floor ie. has a concrete sub floor.

Wherever possible I would always screed the whole floor before any units are installed. It should not make any difference to the screed if showers, toilets etc. are mounted afterwards.

The only time feather finish is used is if the installation is above ground floor level when a plywood floor (wpb) has been used. The feather finish is then used to fill any small gaps between the ply boards and around the perimeter.

Hi floorman,
thanks very much for the reply. Sorry to ask some dumb questions, however I've not dealt with this before.

You are indeed correct, the bathroom is two floors down from the top of the house and has a concrete floor. Oddly it has some small trenches around the edges, which seem to have been used to stick the skirting in ;) Not sure of the origional intention of these and I presume the screed would fill these up.

Sadly all three compaines have informed me they can't do anything before October. Totally booked up at this time of year it seems, which leaves me with a big issue, no bathroom floor until October, my other-half would chop my bits off. Is this a job for which you would only recommend done by a professional?

Regards

ChrisC

The screed would run into and fill any gaps around the edge of the room.

As to you doing the job yourself it would depend on a number of factors:
Is there any design work involved?
Do you have access to the right tools? cutters,trowels etc.
You might have wastage with adhesive you don't use.

If you are reasonably competent at diy you should be ok - at the end of the day an expert is only a human being who knows what he/she is doing.

I do live in your area but I am not sure about the forum rules on making contact with other people (I do have a flooring business) - guidance please Mr. Moderator.

Moderator,

See below post :)

Sponsored Links
Hi floorman,
It is not a job I feel I would like to undertake, having zero experiance in such things. Assuming the moderator does not object I would be more than happy to pass you some work. Failing that, if you let me know the name of your company I would be happy to look it up in the thompson and give you a call in the morning.

Regards

CC

Update your profile for the e-mail to contact, try and not use your main e-mail for protection reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back