Flooring - Concrete and Insulation thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My garage floor already is already concrete. I want to put 100mm PIR Insulation and was told to put 50mm screed on top.
I need to put a bit more, as in 100mm screed. is this ok or will it be too heavy?

Or can i put 150mm pir insulaton and then 50mm screed?

Suggest i put on concrete first then PIR then screed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you converting it to a habitable space? Might it be easier to just build a floating floor?

Floating floor, not suspended timber floor...

Floor-Insulation-solid-floor-timber-floating-floor.jpg

bottom up:
concrete
DPM
PIR
DPM (optional)
Timber boards

Sponsored Links
Yes to 100mm screed. Although that’s probably considered towards the tricky end of things to DIY nowadays.

Because mixing and laying sand and cement screed is fairly hard work to do and get right, if you haven’t done it before. Floating floor much easier.

Because mixing and laying sand and cement screed is fairly hard work to do and get right, if you haven’t done it before. Floating floor much easier.
Oh. No I was going to get someone to pour it on .

Oh. No I was going to get someone to pour it on .
Liquid screed? You'd be better off increasing the insulation thickness.

For sand/cement screed, more thickness can be beneficial regards an unbonded lay.

Is there a weight limit for PIR? 100mm or 150mm concrete is often laid on top of it.

Presume there is a limit though, but I don't know what it is.

But as suggested above, more PIR and a sheet of chipboard would be less hassle and better insulated. I have a room like this, I can confirm it's not the bouncy castle I imagined it would be. I put timber of the right thickness under each doorway, in place of the PIR, bolted down into the concrete then screwed the chipboard into it, just to ensure it wasn't bouncy at the edge. I don't know whether this was necessary, the rest of the room is rock solid. 22mm chipboard is much better than the standard 18mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back