To use or not to use........

Sponsored Links
Not trying to be controversial but isn't ignoring the plugs etc the best and not making a fuss of them.

I have a 3 year old, she has never shown the slightest bit of interest in a socket in her life. Light switches yes but not sockets. This might be because we don't make a fuss about them and just use them as we always have.

Children by their nature as soon as you say no will do it more as it makes them wonder why you said no. As has been said, as long as you don't have socket protectors they woudn't be able to get fingers into a live terminal anyway.

We didn't make too much fuss of her turning the lights on and off and within a couple of days she didn't touch them again!

Either your three year-old daughter is exceptionally tall or your light switches are exceptionally low :)

I ended up with a few of these from an Asda "safety" pack, made by Lindam. There extremely flimsy and I can't imagine it would take long for a child to break them. They wouldn't go into a socket very easily either so I suspect they can damage shutters.

Fortunately most of my sockets are the MK ones which I believe have even more protection than the normal earth pin shutter.

Sponsored Links
I saw an appalling example of socket covers in a pound shop the other day. 8 for a quid, circular and barely large enough to cover the pins. I phoned the local Trading Standards, who told me that if I bought some, then showed that they were unsafe, they'd ask the shopkeeper to take them off sale...

Either your three year-old daughter is exceptionally tall or your light switches are exceptionally low :)

He he, I thought that, it's the one on the stairs which is at shoulder heigh when stood on the floor but as you go up the stairs you can reach it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back