Power socket in middle of a room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a power socket in the middle of a small shop. Concrete floor which I don't want to chop in to. Thought about using a rubber cable protector along the floor but don't really like the idea. My though is to run conduit along the celing to a point above, then drop down to the socket - but don't want it to just hang there! Hope that makes sense.. Any ideas? Is there a product out there I could use? Cheers all!

Sponsored Links
do you have a basement? if so you could drill a hole down into it and tube underneath the floor

There was a modular socket system that used a track busbar system which was ultra thin (less than 1mm thick but wide) which was used on an office block in Bracknell in the eighties but i can't remember what it was called and can't find it by googling maybe a visit to a wholesaler may be successful in finding it? it was thin enough to be installed under carpet tiles with cutout but may be thin enough for you to hide it somehow?

SteadyEddie said:
I want to fit a power socket in the middle of a small shop. Concrete floor which I don't want to chop in to. Thought about using a rubber cable protector along the floor but don't really like the idea. My though is to run conduit along the celing to a point above, then drop down to the socket - but don't want it to just hang there! Hope that makes sense.. Any ideas? Is there a product out there I could use? Cheers all!
What is the socket for? I have seen conduit drops fixed to fridge units before, and shelf units, and wooden trim panels. :rolleyes:

Just put a foot or so of flexible conduit in at the top of the vertical, so you have a bit of movement in whatever you fix it to. Unless the socket will just be in the middle of a large space :confused:

in large shops you see flex drops from ceiling height all the time. If the place has a false ceiling i'd just fit a socket above it and then plug in a lead to drop down.

Sponsored Links
You've a couple of options that I can think of.

1) you could attach a length of 41mm x 41mm unistrut from floor to ceiling, and attach the conduit and socket to this.

2) you could install a purpose made power pole with the socket(s) mounted in it, but be warned they aint cheap.

3) you could make your own power pole using 2 lengths of 50mm x 100mm PVC maxi trunking mounted back to back with a couple of lengths of 41mm x 21mm unistrut or angle iron bolted inside, and then mount the socket(s) straight into the maxi trunking using insert boxes (which TLC don't appear to have on their website)

Thanks all... very helpful.

The Unistrut idea looks good. Handing a flex down from the ceiling certainly sounds nice and easy... I just think it's a bit rough!

There isn't a basement. And no carpet - just lino on concrete so I can't hide anything.

Wouldn't a auto-retractable extension reel be the best solution here? That way you can store it away in the reel at above head height when not in use.

The home made power pole is genius! I love that idea! Have you ever done this or did you just dream it up! Goes well with my old man's strut addiction too! Assuming you use the shallow strut, will there be enough depth to get the trunking back box in?

CallEdsFirst said:
The home made power pole is genius! I love that idea! Have you ever done this or did you just dream it up! Goes well with my old man's strut addiction too! Assuming you use the shallow strut, will there be enough depth to get the trunking back box in?

I've not done it with the shallow unistrut, only with angle iron (or it might even have been dexion) Most of the primary schools in York have one of our home made powerpoles in their ITC suites :LOL:

Dunno, but my old boss had hoards of dexion in our yard, and a propriatary cutting tool to boot! (Not a patch on unistrut though) :LOL:

DexionS.jpg

^ Dexion

http://www.conceptstorage.com/dexion_slotted_angle.html

Seems you can still get it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back