power socket in floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a suspended reclaimed pine floor on 19mm battens, laying on concrete, and would like to add a floor socket branching off from the ring main (want to put a subwoofer in middle of room without tripping over cable all day long).

Is there a way to do this w.r.t. 16th edition, i.e. how to duct 1 branch through the stud wall under the skirting and along the concrete and into the socket. would an rcd be required in case someone smashes 2 litres of vodka on the floor?

thanx.

Sponsored Links
I dont think conduit will be nessecary, though it should be clipped to the joists. A special floor socket will be required (like you see in some furniture shops for table lamps in the middle of the floor)

Ground floor sockets are RCD protected in general anyway, if not its time to look at a CU change or a rewire.

I would personally run a conduit to the socket.

This will allow the cable to be replaced in the future should it ever get damaged, or require relpacement due to age without having to chase out / rip up the floor.

Also I would fit an FCU on the wall to supply the socket so it can be readily isolated when drowned with vodka etc...

make sure you fix the box approx 5mm BELOW finished floor level, as the flush sockets dont sit flush if you dont!

Use the quality MK ones.

The other way, but more expensive, is to fit a floor box - these have a double socket inside, and room for other modules such as phone and data. The door on the top closes over the plugs leaving a pure plat floor again, and the lid has a recess for carpet to be fitted, which I am sure you could use to put a bit of pine in.

Sponsored Links
I definately agree with including some ways isolate BOTH live and neutral to the socket without shutting off the rest of the sockets in the room.

And locate it where neither it nor the cables will become a trip hazard.

cable_blow119.jpg

thanks thats a top idea, 15 amp rated twin pole isolator switch it is.
the boards screw up/down quite easy so I'll give the conduit a miss,
thanks.

bert

I would rate the fuse in the twin pole isolator switch to match the load expected to reduce the size of the flash if a stilleto heel goes into the socket. Not that the socket should be where people walk

I would fit a 13amp FCU. 15amp switch....lets see how long it takes you to find one :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back