Sockets in a Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just having a conservatory built - well they start in a couple of weeks.

I'm wanting to put some sockets along the dwarf wall. I have a double socket on the ring main on the other side of the wall to where I want to start, so it should be a simple extension of an existing circuit, keeping all new sockets on the ring main. The ring main should have plenty of capacity as we have two ring mains and that's the secondary one which just covers the extension (1 bedroom, garage and utility room)

My one question is that there is going to be a double door in right in the middle of the wall I want to put the sockets in, what is the correct way to span the door. I'm aware that all wiring must run vertically or horizontally from sockets to comply with regs.

Do I run horizontally at socket height along the wall then put a double socket near the door and run vertically down at that point then run along under the floor? I was slightly concerned incase the double door is screwed in place into the floor - don't want them to go through cables!

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
plastic conduit in the floor screed from socket to socket..

anyway, your conservatory guys should deal with this.. or is it a "frame and glass only" affair with you taking care of the building side of it?

It's a concrete floor, trying to save as much money as possible, got our usual bloke who does the windows normally doing the conservatory itself and his friend is doing the base and dwarf walls, I've removed the patio and dug it out ready to save some pennies, neither of them do electrics so it was another bloke to come in for that and more pennies again so I said I'd do it. We're not having any lighting so it's just a few doubles to add to an existing circuit. I just suddenly realised about the doorway getting in the way. Plastic conduit should be fine, and I'll mention it to the builder to make sure he tells me when.

Sponsored Links
If a concrete floor, at the time of pouring the concrete, you need to have a plastic conduit sunk into it ready (with a draw rope inserted too). Preferably one long run with sweeping bends at both ends, at least 5cm deep and not under t'door'ole.

With a bit of care you could bring the conduit up straight into sockets at both ends, which means you could use singles which will be easier to pull through conduit.

and are you paying the LABC to come and inspect and test your work then?

Nope :rolleyes:

Steve said:
If a concrete floor, at the time of pouring the concrete, you need to have a plastic conduit sunk into it ready (with a draw rope inserted too). Preferably one long run with sweeping bends at both ends, at least 5cm deep and not under t'door'ole.

With a bit of care you could bring the conduit up straight into sockets at both ends, which means you could use singles which will be easier to pull through conduit.

Thanks for the advice, perfect

Glass is all installed by Windows man, who is Fensa registered and all checks will be part of that, so no worries there,

Electrics is a slight grey area, as an extension to an existing circuit normally doesn't require any notification. Depends on how you interpret the rules I guess but I'm certainly not going to worry about it. I would just like it to be right hence the questions - I don't like bodges, and would like it to comply with all regulations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back