To wack or not to wack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I slowly collect old bricks for an outbuilding with a solid floor area of 10m2 with an anticipated 150mm of hardcore. The 1.2m3 of bricks I have steptoed* so far will need to be compacted after first being crushed by sledge and then mixed with sharp sand as laid, then finally blinded with suitable sand before DPM placed and concrete laid on top.

The question is: is dumping it down by hand likely to lead to some settlement over time compared with hiring a wacker to compact the hardcore mix and the sand blinding?

What would YOU do?

* We are known as steptoe and son round here, can't think why

Sponsored Links
I would always compact.

The vibration will encourage any air gaps to fill, a good thing as far as hard core is concerned.

Plate compactors do have a limited depth penetration, so anything greater than 100-150mm may need compacting in layers.

Wave,

I've just knocked down a garage if you want any more bricks (Farnborough, Hants). Free to a good home!

Sponsored Links
Wave,

I've just knocked down a garage if you want any more bricks (Farnborough, Hants). Free to a good home!

TY for that noseall, I will look around for one, its remarkable what we steptoes turn up.

Now jono, I measured me stacks of bricks this evening and I have 1.2m3 so far.

As you know I am in middlesex, not far from your gaff so I will pick up some bricks if I pass by as long as the horse is up to it. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back