To wax, or not to wax, That is the question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into an old 1900's flat which had 5 painted doors. These were sent away to be professionally stripped, as there must have been about 100 yeaars of paint on them...as well as lead paint...so off to the professionals they went.

The doors that came back were stunning. The original solid oak doors, in all their glory. I asked the guy who stripped them what the best thing to do was. His initial response was, don't paint them! This was not going to happen anyway.

He isn't keen on oils or stains. The oil can sometimes leak out the wood, and it can take a few applications to get the required look. Also, if you go one coat too many...you end up with a door that you don't like but have to put up with.

I detest varnish and stains in the main, so that wasn't going to happen.

He suggested wax. He suggested getting "Colron Refined Finishing Wax, Clear" to wax the doors. Got a tin and tried it...apply a thin layer of wax, with the grain. Buff off after 20 minutes and repeat. I have to say...they look bl00dy lovely to me! I guess I could add another coat of wax, to possibly take it a shade darker, but I might leave them as it is.

However, a couple of questions:

1. Is there anything special I need to do to the doors, now that they are waxed? Or, is it just a case of rubbing over them with a lint-free cloth?

2. How often to I need to re-apply the wax? Is it a yearly thing, twice yearly, monthly?

Someone had suggested leaving the top & bottom edges of the doors unwaxed, which I've done, to let the door breathe.

I'm also concerned about the joins themselves. I'm not a joiner and don't know a plane from a sander, but I'm concerned about areas of the door. The doors have two sections of wood going from top to bottom on each side. At the top, middle & bottom, these are joined by cross sections in, what I believe, are mortice & tenon joints...if that's right, top of the class for me! :D

At the top of the door--and I can't remember whether this is on the hinge side, or the handle side--it looks as though the side section is slightly away from the cross section...if that's making sense to anyone.

My question is, if you understood that, do I need to worry about it? Do I need to get a joiner to do something to it to fix it, or can I happily leave it?

Sponsored Links
If you've done them with a good quality wax, which you have, then they shouldn't need doing again for a long time. Redo them when you feel they need it or if the door gets marked etc. Don't use any of the silicon spray waxes on them, or allow anyone else to. You could get that grey sort of "bloom" from the silicon leeching under the finish.
As you say, the stiles (upright side pieces) are joined to the rails (cross pieces)with mortice and tenon joints. If they're 100 years old they were probably hand made and may have straightforward tenons, either "through" or "blind", or may or may not be wedged in various ways.
If they're OK as is, and the joints aren't moving as they are, I'd leave them alone. Some shrinkage at the shoulder is often seen on MT joints. You can fill them with one of the coloured waxes available if it bothers you.

Biggest mistake people make with wax is too much to often. Apply one coat a year making sure you buff off well. Keeping buffing up over the next 12 mths then apply a new coat.

Make sure when applying you don't put on too thick a Coat and make sure it's well buffed up ... Hard work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back