Toast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Continuing my gripping series of hospital-based threads (wake up you lot!!) I am just wondering if there is any way of mass producing toast and keeping it even vaguely crunchy up to the point of delivery. As anyone who has had the misfortune to stay in hospital (NHS at least) the toast is more accurately described as "sog". It would be easy if a toaster was available on the ward to defibrillate the toast and make it crispy but that is not the case. Any other tips, guys?

Sponsored Links
not putting a lid or cover on will keep it crisp but cold.

Putting a cover on will keep it moist but warm.

A hotel trick is to toast it in advance, then put it in the oven for half a minute before serving.

p.s.
Continuing my gripping series of hospital-based threads

You spelt "griping" wrong.

Burnt toast doesn't happen in hospitals.......

Bread served with black coating is a low cost version of medicinal activated charcoal.

Sponsored Links
Not an answer to your question but I used to work with a guy that would make his toast (with jam) in the morning, then secure it in the engine bay of his car, drive to work then eat it in the factory. That was always soggy. But why he couldn't have eaten it before he left for work was always a mystery.

Not an answer to your question but I used to work with a guy that would make his toast (with jam) in the morning, then secure it in the engine bay of his car, drive to work then eat it in the factory. That was always soggy. But why he couldn't have eaten it before he left for work was always a mystery.

Obviously someone who was dying for a colleague to ask him why , so he could make the Bob Marley joke.

I like my bread toasted on one side only. Crisp on one side, soft on the other. :LOL:

The reason they do not have toasters on the wards is because the toasters set off the smoke alarms! These are all connected to the fire station, and generates an automatic red alert. 'Nuff said?

You just get one of those Premier inn revolving toasters. Did see one guy make a big toasty once and put it through. We had to wolf the breakfast as we watched it go on fire as it was stuck in the machine.

Cant believe I answered my self previously. No wonder I had seen the same thing as it was me. Edited.

Continuing my gripping series of hospital-based threads (wake up you lot!!) I am just wondering if there is any way of mass producing toast and keeping it even vaguely crunchy up to the point of delivery. As anyone who has had the misfortune to stay in hospital (NHS at least) the toast is more accurately described as "sog". It would be easy if a toaster was available on the ward to defibrillate the toast and make it crispy but that is not the case. Any other tips, guys?

Gripping indeed secure. You should start a blog :LOL:

I recently spent two weeks in hospital and food is really important, there is precious else to do. Meals mark the passage of the day, that and having observations done. Oh and being asked daily whether I had 'moved my bowels' which is a weird thing to be asked. None of us knew what day it was or what the weather was like. It looked sunny but we had no clue about temperature.
My toast problem was that is was often cold, which is understandable. I found if I ate my bran flakes and then asked for toast as I was a bit hungry, I got lovely hot toast. Couldn't do it every day of course.
I spent at least two days, probably more, trying to figure out how the vertical hangers for the bed curtains went so accurately through the polystyrene tiles, all absolutely vertical. I was trying to figure out how they connected to the presumably concrete ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Back