Toaster tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new toaster 6 weeks ago. Have never had an RCD tripping problem but now when the lever on the toaster is pressed down the main RCD trips. This does not happen every time but sometimes also happens when the toast pops up. I would just normally replace the toaster but the b.....dy thing cost me best part of £90. Help! is there anything I can do to stop this. is it the toaster switch sparking that causes it? the RCD is 40 ma.

Help would be greatly received.

Sponsored Links
Take it back and get them to swop it.
Your RCD will probably be 30mA ;)

We had the same problem - happily with a £10 Sainsbury's basics toaster.

The cause was a large crumb of bread between the element and the wire of the pop-up mechanism - everytime put the toast in and pushed handle down, it would trip - the crumb providing a slightly conductive path.

Removing the crumb fixed it, but I expect that this must be a common problem.

Tat

OK I say this because I have seen it twice in the recent past. Have you or has anyone dropped something metal in the toaster? Unplug it, remove the crumb tray and have a good look around. If not that then take it back to your retailer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back