Toilet ballcock dripping for a long while after flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently the toilet fill spout drips for a long while after flushing. It's not leaking - I can push the ball down and when it's filled another few mm the drip stops. So on it's own it's just not shutting off sharply - and it takes hours of dripping through the night to fill that last bit to close the valve.

Is there any adjustment or cleaning I can do to fix it, if it's just due to it being a bit old and sticky?
I've seen this other similar thread , but changing the washer didn't seem to help:

Sponsored Links
Two alternatives:
1. Change the diaphragm washer in the inlet valve. These go hard with age and require increased pressure to shut off. Post a photograph of the valve and someone may be able to tell you what type it is.
2. Change the whole inlet valve for something like a Fluidmaster with brass shank.
3. Either alternative will require the water to the WC cistern to be turned off.
4. Alternative 1 can be done without emptying the cistern. Provided its a fairly common diaphragm washer, its generally a cheap and easy fix.

DiaphragmWasher.jpg

Thanks for the advice!

This is the washer - around 33mm.
I gave it a good clean - lots of black rubber residue came off and some gritty bits. That seems to have helped with the drip. If it comes back, at least I can look for a replacement. Are they easy to source?

Sponsored Links
Less than a quid from your local plumber's merchant. It is a 25p component.

I am not a plumber but I vaguely remembering someone saying that smearing a little bit of silicone grease (read: not Vaseline) will stop the rubber from sticking to the housing/fittings. Hopefully a proper plumber can confirm/deny that.

Looks like a Delchem diaphragm washer. Toolstation stock them, Screwfix appear not to. B&Q have

Plumbsure Rubber Ball valve Washer, (D) 30mm Pack of 2.​

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back