Toilet cistern leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed the carpet was damp behing the plastic (quite old) cistern so I ran my fingers underneath the cistern flush to the wall and it was wet. Quiite how it leaks from there is difficult to work out as there are no connections there. Any ideas please? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
In recent temperatures it could be condensation or remove cistern lid and look for splashing water as it fills.

Thanks, tried that, everything normal but when I looked on the underside, I can see little bubbles forming and dropping. Could there be a minute crack in the cistern? I have looked but it's difficult to see when it's full of water.

Thanks, tried that, everything normal but when I looked on the underside, I can see little bubbles forming and dropping. Could there be a minute crack in the cistern? I have looked but it's difficult to see when it's full of water.
Well, yes anything is possible. As water runs downhill start with dry tissue at the top and work your way down to trace the source.

Sponsored Links
If it is a water leak,it could be in a few different places.

Have in the past used a drop of blue water dye in the cistern (dry the underside first) and leave overnight,if the drip is blue you have a leak from the cistern or connections (y).

Always clean out the cistern after dye testing :idea:

I can see where it's dripping, but obviously can't see the source as it must me a hairline crack somewhere. Have to get a plumber in

If it is a water leak,it could be in a few different places.

Have in the past used a drop of blue water dye in the cistern (dry the underside first) and leave overnight,if the drip is blue you have a leak from the cistern or connections (y).

Always clean out the cistern after dye testing :idea:
Food dye will do it, comes in many colours. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back