Toilet cistern - rusted/seized handle shaft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a plastic cistern hidden in tiled formwork. The only access is from above. I need to replace the handle which isn’t a ‘front access’ type. The shaft is metal thread with brass washers. It’s rusted solid. Trying to get it off the brass flange nuts have become rounded and it’s impossible to get a grip on them. They are also very slim so hard to get a good mole grip hold. The profile of the plastic cistern also doesn’t help.
I’ve tried WD 40d, hacksawed as much of the threaded shaft off as I can. I’ve extracted the handle leaving just the two brass washers with the short piece of rusted threaded shaft between them.
I’m not sure I can get a mini angle grinder in there (any tool would need to be used vertically and there’s max 70mm between the inner edge of the cistern and the siphon assembly) and the brass flange nut on the outer front of the cistern is very tight to get to because of the form work. Thought about buying a multi tool but I read the plunge blade wouldn’t be a match for for the c. 30mm circumference of the brass nut. A rotary dremel with cutting wheel would need to be used horizontally and there isn’t the room.
I don’t really want to remove the cistern or siphon (I think the builder connected up before enclosing the whole thing).
Any bright ideas out there please!
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hope these photos help a bit. Ignore the rubber band temporary flusher and the plastic container to catch debris!

Attachments

• 44CCFF47-5EF2-477F-8FE8-A6A3D3092537.jpeg
    44CCFF47-5EF2-477F-8FE8-A6A3D3092537.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 55
  • FF864FBF-72A2-47EB-B125-1614FBC709A2.jpeg
    FF864FBF-72A2-47EB-B125-1614FBC709A2.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 53
  • D1BD2CBA-4F34-4A49-BCBF-C4EFFD46A5D8.jpeg
    D1BD2CBA-4F34-4A49-BCBF-C4EFFD46A5D8.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 57
Drill a hole through one of the flats of the hexagon nut ,the one inside the cistern. Drill at its thinnest point,using a drill bit that has a diameter almost the thickness of the nut.
That should allow you to remove the nut with a good set of grips on each nut. Particularly if you put oil into the thread first.

Sponsored Links
Hi Terry, Sorry I don’t get that. How will a hole through a flat help the grip? By the way when I have managed to grip and turn the inner nut, the outer nut turns with it, and it’s a real struggle to grip the outer nut given the tight space and narrow nut. impossible to

Hi

What he means by flats is when you are looking at the nut face choose one of the sides and drill into it so you cut it in two then that will allow movement to take it off

The reason why when turning one nut the other turns is because it’s seized.

You could try and cut through the nut with a hacksaw or a deemed makes really easy work of it
Best wishes
Jake

Just to add on that’s why you don’t get builders to do plumbing or plumbers to do building work l

Thanks guys, I get the idea of drilling to split the nut now, will give it a try. I have the replacement handle, long shaft.

cheers
David

Hi Dave ,
No worries sometimes we can over think things it’s pretty simple when you get going.

The shaft you mentioned for the handle sometimes you may have to trim it down a little to give it clearance from the cistern syphon depending how they installed it , other times it just fits perfect

If you do get stuck just give us a shout and we will see how we can help but let us know how you get on :)
Best wishes
Jake

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back