1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Toilet cistern shut off valve not shutting off

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by odin444, 9 Sep 2017.

1. odin444

odin444

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

Hoping someone might be able to lend a hand. Basically, after flushing our toilet the other day, the cistern empties as normal, but when it refills, the shut off valve floats up with the water but doesn't shut it off and eventually ends up going into the overflow. The water to the toilet has been turned off for now to stop the constant running. I've attached a picture but it might be hard to make out as the cistern is really compact. If anyone has any tips that might help it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Take you`ve tried adjusting the float level with that White adjusting rod (Bottom right hand corner in the photo).

3. Sponsored Links
  4. odin444

odin444

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

Yeah, I watched a few videos and gave that a go but no joy. Even if I lift the valve manually while the cistern is filling, it's still not stopping the water flow

5. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. odin444

odin444

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local