Toilet cistern will not fill.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new bathroom fitted in a house I am renovating. Hot water is off due to some rads being removed. Everything seemed perfect but the toilet which has only been used a few times has stopped filling up the cistern. However when the basin or bath tap is turned on full pressure or downstairs loo is flushed the cistern will then fill up. Bathroom fitter has no answer other than to rip out my lovely new bathroom which I am gutted about.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
trying to get my head round this one - all I can come up with is that the toilet fill valve could be faulty. If it's an equilibrium valve which works on pressure differences, opening the tap would relieve the pressure behind the valve allowing it to open.

Has anyone tried moving the float down to see if it fills?

Was the pipework flushed through properly to clear all debris within?
Did it have/need the flow restrictor fitted?

The fitter should come back, sort the cistern problem and make good ... for free.
Is it a concealed cistern? Yet another without a 'service hatch'?

Weird one...Has he tried turning the pressure down slightly to the cistern via the isolation/service valve? As squeaky says, it may be a pressure issue.

Sponsored Links
MANY thanks for the replies. ,

The bathroom fitter returned today took out the toilet to check if a flow restrictor was in there ( there wasn't) . He says he FLUSHED it ABOUT FOUR times when installed.
HE IS CERTAIN THE VALVE IS FINE. He has sought advice and seems to conclude that as the house has really good pressure I need to have a pressure restrictor installed on the mains.

HE SAYS THIS WILL BE ABOUT £170 for the part and labour.

APOLOGIES FOR THE TEXT CHANGES USING MY SONS KINDLE.

He wants £170 to fit a Pressure Reducing Valve to your mains because one fill valve doesn't work :?: :!:

and if access to pipework after the stop cock is relatively easy then I wouldn't see it taking any more than an hour to fit and test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back