toilet cistern won't fill up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I noticed that after a flush it sounded like the cistern was filling up for a very long time. I looked in the cistern and water was entering the cistern via the anti-syhon fill valve but was esacping down the flush pipe.

I isolated the water to the toilet, took off the anti-shpon fill valve and gave it a clean. However, after re-connecting the same problem persists.

Some sites say I need a new anti-syhon fill valve but it didn't look broken to me. Does anyone know anything else I can try please?

I found a diagram that looks like my set-up.
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/Pushbutton/cistern.jpg

Cheers

Sponsored Links
the rubber seal on the bottom maybe out of shape.
if you've tried cleaning it turn the seal over.
if it still fails then a new seal.

thanks for the quick reply. do you mean a seal on the bottom of the anti-syphon fill valve? if that doesn't work do you recommend a new fill valve or is there anything else to try?

many thanks

thanks for the quick reply. do you mean a seal on the bottom of the anti-syphon fill valve?
yes on the flush valve.
you have to know what make etc the valve is to get a seal.
if that doesn't work do you recommend a new fill valve or is there anything else to try?
no reason why it shouldn't work unless the valve is catching somewhere and not shutting i've never had to fit a complete valve for this reason unless anything has broke on the valve.

Sponsored Links
thank you very much for the advice. I will try to fix the flush valve tonight and, if required, replace this valve.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks,
Mark

hi,

thank you for your advice. i can now see that it is the flush valve. i tried re-seating the seal but this does not work - the button lifts the flush valve but it does not drop down again to re-create the seal.

i will get a new flush valve unit and fit that and expect it to solve the problem. that will save me some money so thanks again.

have you tried it without the cable attached to the button if it's not shutting fully.
sometimes the cables can go stiff and not run free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back