Toilet constantly running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - my toilet is constantly running and I don't know how to stop it.

I attach a photo of the cistern - if anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

The part on the right is making a lot of noise and constantly dripping - the toilet now won't fill up - due to my fiddling with the cistern

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't fill up at all then your discharge valve (the flush) is not closing properly.

You can tinker with the seals in the bottom of the cistern but I'd probably just replace the discharge valve with a similar one.

First, unfiddle with it. Put it back how it was. At least it was working, after a fashion.

Second, contrary to previous advice, there's almost certainly nothing wrong with the flush/discharge valve (on the left). Do NOT fiddle with any seals at the bottom of the cistern. Do NOT replace flush valve - unless it has been letting water into the pan/bowl/loo/bog when not required.

The inlet valve may be contaminated with debris, the washer may be cattle trucked. Strip inlet valve, check washer.

Turn off water first.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I wasnt' clear.

If water isn't going into the cistern, its the inlet. If it is, but the cistern isn't filling then it's the discharge valve. And if it's filling - but the water won't stop running into the cistern, causing it to run into the overflow - then it's the inlet valve again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back