Toilet Creak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a toilet that creaks when you stand on the wooden floor.
The planks run cross wise , and the joists the run long ways away fro the toilet.
The toilet is over one of the joists.
All the plants are well screwed to the joists so I assume it must be the 'bounch' from the joists
as you walk?
It occurs close to the toilet, but also further away along the joist.
The floor seems solid and I cannot detect a bounce, but it must be subtle.
It is not the top lid or the seat.
How can I cushion the toilet?
The toilet is attached by two screws at the top, and 4 screws at the bottom.
It sounds like it is coming from the the cistern tank attached to the tiles.
TOILET.jpg

Sponsored Links
Usually most plumbers fit a rubber washer over the screw (¾" tap washer works well) between the cistern and wall. Reduces strain on the cistern and no doubt stops creaking too.

Usually most plumbers fit a rubber washer over the screw (¾" tap washer works well) between the cistern and wall. Reduces strain on the cistern and no doubt stops creaking too.
Thank you!
No washer fitted!

Still have not solved it!
I am wondering if it is coming from where the water tank sits on the toilet itself?
Secured by two wing-nuts.

Sponsored Links
loosen the screws from the wall and wiggle the cistern while someone listens to see if the noise is from pan to floor , pan to waste pipe or pan to cistern. if it is pan to cistern you may need to remove it and fit a new doughnut washer as the old one may have been overtightened. Hav a look on you tube for loads of videos on how to remove and fit a close coupled cistern. Can be easy or a nightmare if the nuts are rusted! (y)
(n) Aso the fixing bolts can rub on the ceramic too.

Wet wood on the floor under the flooring?
It is dry under the carpet.
First thing I did was to pull up the carpet and screw down the floorboards,
which made the floor solid, but did not resolve the toilet squeak.

Twas the cistern!
I have cushioned it from the tiles, with rubber washers.
Let us hope it does not come back!!‍
Thanks to everyone for your input!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back