toilet downstairs - drainage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
i posted this once before but it has possibly gotten bumped down the list so apologies for the repetition we are hoping to run downstairs foul drainage into this
does anyone have any advise with regard to whether we can go into this drain or whether we will have to dig up the yard to get it into the soil pipe?
many thanks in advance
JJP\
[/img]

Sponsored Links
What exactly is that bigger pipe at the back of the picture. If it's rainwater downpipe then the answer is no. You have to get into the underground drain downstream of the gulley trap. :( :( :(

What's more, if you have separate drainage for rainwater and sewage, you can't use that drain at all. :cry: :cry: :cry: You can work this out by looking in manholes and running some water. Two manholes close together near your property boundary is a pretty good sign that you have split drainage. DO NOT connect your toilet to the wrong one! :!: :!: :!: The water company won't like it when turds come down the rainwater drain and you'll like it even less if they trace the source - which I suspect they can. :oops: :oops: :oops:

You need to establish firstly if you have a 'combination' drainage system - rainwater & waste water??

Normally that sort of installation requires a Building Warrant from your LABC. so perhaps it would be worth checking with them. At the very least you would require to form a new Manhole on your drainage system, to connect your new toilet.
HTH

many thanks all for quick responses
Yes the larger pipe is gutter run off, smaller - sink
I will look into the manhole (literally) tomorrow
otherwise is this something that would show on either Deeds, Conveyance Report or be on file with South West Water?
If it was ok to go into it would it require a vented substack?
thanks again
JJP

Sponsored Links
I'd be fairly confident with wastes and rainwater going into the gulley its a combined drainage system, but need to be certain. Easy to test yourself, flush toilet, if the water can be seen (or heard) at the manhole then its a foul drain. Bucket of water down gulley, does this also appear at the same manhole?

Either way you will have to do some digging. The toilet needs a direct connection to the drain, and you would still have to provide a trapped gulley for the rainwater downpipe. As said, the work is notifiable to Building Control at the local Council, give them a ring, B.C. are usually pretty helpful and will explain in more detail what they want to see done to satisfy regs.

I think you said in the previous post you were planning to relocate the kitchen to the 1st floor? Provision will need to be made for wastes from the kitchen, so it may well be necessary to continue a stack up to at least that level to allow connection of kitchen waste pipes.

Hi Hugh
thanks for that
with regard to kitchen waste we are locating kitchen to bathroom so presumably we can go into that?
Best regards
JJP

with regard to kitchen waste we are locating kitchen to bathroom so presumably we can go into that?

By 'that' do you mean an existing stack? If so then yes you can. The old bath waste connection will do nicely for a kitchen sink. :cool: :cool: :cool:

indeed yes
the full situation being we have a stack already in the courtyard on opposite wall to pictured drainage but as it is across the yard so we have to balance the cost/bother of either putting a decent flat roof over the yard and use that as the bathroom or going into what is now the kitchen drainage (pictured)
cheers
JJP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back