Connecting new utility & toilet space to existing drainage??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some advice / guidance on a project we are considering.

We are considering putting a new utility and toilet space downstairs. In order to do this we would need to run the waste pipes backwards, circa 2 metres, to join the existing waste drainage which joining waste from upstairs bathroom and kitchen; then flows out to the main drains out to the street.

First question - is it possible to run the flow backwards to join the existing drainage?

Then, if so, can you provide some guidance on how best do to so.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Backwards? A rough sketch or photos may help, but I’m thinking you mean something else?

Hi Chris - here is an image (please excuse the drawing) and as you can guess I'm not a plumber!! :D Thanks.

Attachments

• Drainage hopes....pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 259
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes this is fine, just need to cut into existing soil pipe (if that’s what existing is) with a branch.

Sponsored Links
That is great news! Thanks Chris. With regards to a connect to the existing soil pipe would I use a multi point boss pipe and is there any requirement on angles at all?

No, better using a soil branch, as for falls, 18mm per metre, minimum. Have a look at downloading building regulations document H.

Thanks muggles; we have BC engaged already on the extension work already so will make sure to raise with them.

Perfect Chris; I downloaded that earlier; bit of a read! Really appreciate your help.

Worth pointing out that this work is notifiable to Building Control, so you'd be well advised to get them involved as soon as you decide to go ahead.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware. I’m guessing because of my employer, all of this would have been dealt with by them, for works I did as a plumber.

Assuming the existing run as shown in Green is underground, then you wont be allowed (or wise) to connect a WC on a blind junction, as you'll have no method of clearing the WC branch run should it block. Believe me, removing the pan to clear from the top end is NOT something you'd ever want to do.

Does the existing sewer run externally as shown across the top of the diagram? You'd be better off going straight through the wall and making a connection onto the run there, probably with a chamber. Wastes can easily be connected via boss connections or externally via a gulley.

Attachments

• Drainage hopes... (1).pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 208
Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back